Disclaimer: Be aware that this article is not a substitute for legal advice. Please always check official websites or seek legal advice before you take action.

How to register a sole proprietorship in Morocco

First, you will need to get in touch with the Commercial Register of Morocco and get the Negative Certificate that implies that the trade name you suggested for your business is not used by anyone else. The application for a Negative Certificate can be issued online via the Moroccan Office of Industrial and Commercial Property (OMPIC). Requested documents for the application are:

  • Fee 230 MAD

  • Three notarized copies of ID or Passport

  • Formal letter of request

  • Three possible trade names

All businesses in Morocco must have a registered address of the business, so you have to options:

  • Sign a lease agreement for rent

  • Register under your home address

Don't forget to open a bank account through which you will make all money transfers on behalf of the company.

A very important thing in the procedure of registration is creating the Article of Association, which means creating a document that will define the company's rules. For this, you should consult a legal advisor.

The business could be incorporated within ten working days.

Corporate tax in Morocco

As a taxpayer, you will be interested in corporate income tax. The tax rate depends on the type of business you are running. However, here are some calculations of taxes:

  • Less than or equal to 300,000 MAD: 10 %

  • From to 300,001 to 1,000,000 MAD : 17,5 %

  • More than 1,000,000 MAD : 31 %

  • Credit institutions: 37 %

Value added tax in Morocco

The VAT implies all the goods and services made within the business. The tax rate is at 20%. You can register for VAT at the General Tax Directorate within the CRI. At the end of every quarter, you should submit the report of your income to the General Tax Administration Office. This process could be, also, done online at this link.

Obtain a license

As you have finished with all the previous processes, you must obtain a license and a tax ID from the Regional Taxes Directorate. You will need to collect the approval letter for the activities of the business you intend to run, the agreement for classified establishment (the list of sectors available here), and your acquisition lease or debit note.

Did this answer your question?